Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas Eve

It's Christmas Eve--9:53p.m. and all of our babies are sleeping. They are soooo excited that Santa is coming that they fell asleep without much fanfare. Ajani even fell out of bed, announced his landing and sleepily said, "Merry Christmas."

I had so much fun with them tonight. We made hot chocolate and read, as we do every year, "The Night Before Christmas". Though we're opening Friday (awful timing for a mother who is Christmas crazy), I'll sneak away to the shop tomorrow to prep for the big day. There's a little guilt associated with that, but I want the shop to feel like home to my children (cause we'll be there often). That's one reason why we're open Wednesday-Saturday, because I want to see my children. When I've trained our assistant bakers well enough, we may open up on Tuesdays; never Sunday--eventhough we are across the street from a church. Believe me, everyone and their momma has said, "How could you not be open on Sunday?!?!" Here's how: our children are in school everyday EXCEPT Saturday and Sunday. We work on Saturdays, and they are with us in the mix. Sundays are family day--to worship as we choose, to cuddle with books, to play board games, to talk about how everyone is doing, to play with Lego's and do yoga. Sundays are our days to connect and to breathe. We sure hope people understand. Just buy a lot of cookies and cupcakes on Saturday to carry over to Sunday (& Monday:)

But I digress, it's Christmas Eve, and my beautiful babies are tucked into bed, dreaming of Christmas morning. We are creating fantastic memories. Sixty years from now, I won't be thinking of how many cupcakes I sold on Sundays or any other day for that matter; I'll be thinking of my family, the memories we've made, and I'll be so happy I didn't forget what is eternally important.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

No comments: